Skip to main content

Project ACCIPITER Demo Review


Accipiter. A magnificent bird.


It feels like a fitting name for a squad of highly trained female soldiers. Perhaps the developer simply likes the bird, or perhaps there's another reference behind it. Either way, it suits them.


The curious part is that the game isn't called Squad ACCIPITER. It's called Project ACCIPITER. There is presumably a reason for that, though the demo doesn't reveal enough for me to know what it is yet. Was Project ACCIPITER the name of the programme that trained this squad before the apocalypse? For now, I can only speculate.


What I can say with confidence is what the game actually feels like:


Three adorable, heavily armed women roaming around as a squad and mowing down zombies in a top-down shooter.


And it works.


Each operator has her own special ability. Amaryllis throws grenades, while Calissa deploys a drone. Exactly what combat benefit the drone provides remains a mystery to me. Perhaps some form of aerial support?


The progression feels well paced. Upgrades come often enough to keep things moving, and the costs feel fair. There's a steady sense of becoming more capable without the upgrades arriving so quickly that they lose their impact.


There is, however, one lingering question about the full release.


So far, I haven't noticed any obviously different zombie types in the trailers or screenshots on the store page. Will we still be fighting the equivalent of Left 4 Dead's Common Infected by the time the credits roll?


That wouldn't automatically be a problem. A zombie game can absolutely work with a simple roster of enemies. Still, different enemy types are one of the easiest ways to give combat more variety and rhythm. A new threat can force the player to move differently, shift priorities, or simply break up the flow before it becomes repetitive.


I've always thought zombie fiction leans towards one of two pleasures.


One is the uncomplicated joy of cutting through hordes of zombies.


The other is the drama: people under pressure, survivors turning on one another, and all the human misery that tends to accompany the apocalypse.


Some zombie stories manage both. Others choose one and concentrate on doing it well.


From the demo, Project ACCIPITER clearly leans towards the action. Its strongest personality comes from the squad and the simple pleasure of tearing through zombies. That isn't a criticism. In fact, embracing that strength even further could turn it into a fantastic zombie game.


If the full release also delivers a brilliant story, all the better. But that's something the demo can't answer yet.


One final matter of personal preference: the constant meowing before you pet the cat got a bit much after a while.


Still, it's a cat.


Pet the cat. Take the bonus ability. Carry on killing zombies.


I'm looking forward to seeing what Project ACCIPITER becomes.



https://store.steampowered.com/app/4629850/Project_ACCIPITER/?curator_clanid=46578905

https://linktr.ee/horrorgames


Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter PC Games Retrospective

Apparently I am a Hiderum Studios Creator Partner now. They offered me the role recently and I happily accepted. I do not think I have exactly spent my time showering their games with praise. I seem to remember spending a considerable portion of one review calling them mad people. Apparently they liked that. At the moment there are only two Creator Partners, including me. Perhaps if the list grows, it will eventually start feeling like some sort of little club. The name sounds rather grand, although in practice I do not think it means we are constantly collaborating on things. It feels more like Hiderum taking creators they already enjoy working with and putting a nice official ribbon around the relationship. Fair enough. They support creators they like. I continue doing whatever I was already doing. Everyone benefits. There is no actual obligation for me to cover anything, so there is no real pressure either. Although the title does sound important enough that it occasionally makes me...

Flaming Fried Nutrition: Daydream Demo Review

Another mad burger idler immediately after reviewing a mad burger job simulator. I'm starting to wonder whether I should have lunch at Byron Burger today. Before talking about this game, I think I need to briefly say something about the studio and some of their previous work. To get straight to the point, Hiderum Studios is one of the few developers whose games I've reviewed several times. Sysreb Games is one of a handful of others, but their turn hasn't come up yet, so I'll talk about them later. Perhaps doing a developer-focused review one day might be interesting too. I've had a surprisingly long-running relationship with Hiderum Studios. It started several years ago, when I was digging through Steam looking for a decent slasher game and found Flaming Friday Night. I added it to my wishlist at the time, but never bought it. Then, before I knew it, the game had been removed from sale. I felt as though someone I'd had a crush on had suddenly died and I would ne...